Welcome!

My photo
I started writing this blog in 2008, toward the end of my first year of teaching. These posts about my experiences as an NYC Department of Education teacher have been (and continue to be) assembled over a period of several years. They don't necessarily need to be read in chronological order, but my very first post, "Context" (March 2008) might be useful as an introduction into this lunacy. While most of my stories highlight the ridiculousness of being a public school teacher, I should note that I love my students and care deeply for them. So as you read, please keep in mind that I do in fact have a soul, as well as a heart; and that heart of mine brims with pride every time I think about my students' talents and breaks with pain every time another one gets screwed by the system.

March 18, 2011

Facebooking with Students = Cringe

Oh there are so many more problems besides the ambiguity of 'pokes' when it comes to Facebooking with students.  Here's one of the tamer ones that mostly just makes me laugh but also makes me think: what the fuck are you doing?

Regret #2:  Seeing their Facebook 'names.'

There must be some unwritten rule I'm unaware of, amongst my kids, anyway. Apparently, its way cooler to make up weird-ass nicknames for yourself, instead of go by your real name. 

- Sweet, innocent, awesome Kaitlyn is now commonly referred to as  'ooBl0w Fishoo'. One can only surmise what that means. Can you imagine what I thought when double-o 'Blow Fish' messaged me the other day?

- Michael, a delightfully smart and witty kid with a blindingly bright future, has officially changed his last name to 'Bigg Boii Swaggs' (after all, if it's on Facebook, it's official right?) and previously: 'Dha Assassin'.  Surriously? Gang-member already? You're not even going to wait until high school?

- Peterson, a kid for whom I have the utmost respect as a talented, passionate, caring human being; but who unfortunately maintained an ultra-dork status in elementary school (he tried and tried to shake it but just couldn't) has chosen to add 'Cheese' as his middle name (you see why he couldn't shake the 'dork' title now).

- Mariel, clueless, adorable kid, prefers the nickname 'Princess Senarina.' Fine, it is what it is... but guess what her mother's name is? AfriKan PriNcess. And her listed skills? Knowledge of English and Pig LatinSwear to God. 


Sheesh.

No comments: